Friday, July 5, 2013

Learning from Loving Our Dogs

100_2033
This is Yogi. He’s around 7 years old and was a rescue from an animal shelter in the town I lived in at the time. He’s a corgi-beagle mix and full of personality. There is nothing quite like having those brown eyes with that permanent “eye-liner” looking dolefully up at you when you’re trying to scold him for tearing down the blinds, completely emptying his pillow or one of his toys of its stuffing, or ignoring you when you when you tell him that it’s time to come inside. He’s a great dog and has been a good friend to me through a lot of changes through the years he’s been with me.

RanglerThis is Rangler. He’s the new addition to our family and has been an extra jolt of energy in the month that we’ve had him. He’s a lab-pit bull mix, 1 1/2 years old with all the energy and playfulness you would expect from a dog his breed and age. Matt (my wonderful husband) wanted a bigger dog that could keep up with him. (Yogi is more of the ‘I’ll lie here while you rub my belly’ type of dog.) We saw Rangler on Craigslist, and as soon as we met him, we knew that he would fit the bill of what we were looking for perfectly. He’s a great mix of playful and loving – he may flop over on his back for a belly rub in front of you right in the middle of a game of catch!

These two dogs have been a special blessing in my and my family’s life, and I have learned a lot from working with them. Since that’s really the whole spirit of this blog, I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to grow to do a series of posts on things that I have learned from loving and caring for these dogs. I’m going to talk about how these dogs have helped me gain a greater appreciation for patience, positivity, and prayer; how they have helped me see the value and necessity for a proper balance of encouragement and discipline; how they have opened my eyes to both the challenges and joys of having two very different dogs in my life; and all the many other lessons that I’m sure they have for me. :)

Thanks for stopping by!
~ Erin ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think of my posts!