Saturday, September 28, 2013

Rekindling a Neglected Passion

Before you get worried, this post is not about personal relationships in any way. I’m talking neglected passion in the strictly ‘something you used to do and love but don’t do much anymore’ sense. For me, that something is writing.

Now, you might be thinking, “Aren’t I reading your writing right now, though?" Yes, but this isn’t the kind of writing I’m talking about. I’m talking about poems, short stories, maybe even a full-length novel or two (if I can ever get them finished).

I’ve been a writer since I was a little kid, when I was constantly creating new characters and storylines, some of which I put on paper but many more that lived only in my own imagination. In high school, I would carry a stack of loose-leaf ruled paper on which I would craft stories in any free moments I had in between and during classes. It was invigorating to see my characters come to life, to see their lives and loves played out on the pages before me. In the last few years, though, I have seen that old passion for putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard, as the case may be) transformed into almost a dread at the thought of struggling through the writing process.

What happened?

What happened to that love that I used to have for writing? What happened to the joy I once had in creating a new character, almost as if I was meeting a new friend for the first time? What happened to that irrepressible drive to get the story from my mind to the page, to walk with my characters to the end of their story, and to bid them a fond farewell so that I could attend to the next set of characters who were fighting to come out and tell their story?

Truth be told, there are a lot of reasons that I could give to answer these questions, but I guess the biggest of these is impatience. Impatience with myself, impatience with my stories, impatience with the whole writing process. Writing can be incredibly challenging, especially if you try to take a perfectionist’s approach toward it (which you should NEVER do on a first draft, by the way). But if you love it, if you TRULY love it, you do it anyway, even when it’s hard, even when the plot doesn’t seem to be coming together or the characters start acting weird or you struggle to get a few useable words down a day. That’s why that passion is so important.

So I’m going to work on building that passion up again. I’m going to do all those things that they tell writers to do when they lose focus or the drive to continue: Start small. Do at least a little bit every day. Connect with others who have the same passion. And have fun again.

Before I sign off this post, though, I’d like to take it to the spiritual realm for a second.

It’s one thing to feel this way about writing. I mean, if I never rekindle that passion for writing that I once had, it’s really not that big of a deal in the long run. But how many of us have felt this same way about our spiritual lives at one point or another? How many of us have sat up one day and realized that, for whatever reason, we had lost that love, joy, and zeal that we once had for the Lord?

“Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place – unless you repent.”  - Revelation 2:4-5

If this describes you, please consider your standing before the Lord. Rekindle that passion that you once had for your Lord and your service for Him. Start small. Do at least a little bit every day. Connect with others who have the same passion. And open your heart to experience the more abundant life that God offers to His faithful (John 10:10).

Thanks for stopping by!

~Erin~

 Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think of my posts!